Patient Advocacy Specialist
St. Dominic Hospital
GUEST SERVICES - 9525
The Patient Advocacy Coord is responsible for a variety of duties related to patient advocacy. Assists Risk Management with prompt investigation and resolution of patient complaints and grievances for St. Dominic’s Medical Center. Monitors and reports trends regarding grievances to miscellaneous administrative committees and hospital departments. Works with miscellaneous, local, state, and federal regulatory agencies regarding grievance resolutions. Relies on education, some experience and judgment to accomplish job and works under general supervision. Creativity and some latitude is expected to complete responsibilities of the role.
- Bachelors Degree in related field.
Minimum Work Experience:
- Two (2) years related experience Hospital Experience.
- Good interpersonal/human relations skills.
- Good oral/written communication skills.
- Good teamwork skills.
- Good critical thinking/decision making skills.
- Good organizational skills and computer skills.
- Provides a positive and professional representation of the organization.
- Promotes culture of safety for patients and employees through proper identification, reporting, documentation, and prevention.
- Maintains hospital standards for a clean and quiet patient environment to maintain a positive patient care experience.
- Maintains competency and knowledge of current standards of practice, trends, and developments in related scope of job role or practice.
- Adheres to infection-control policies and protocols, medication administration and storage procedures, and controlled substance regulations.
- Participates in ongoing quality improvement activities.
- Maintains compliance with organization’s policies, as well as established practices, protocols, and procedures of the position, department, and applicable professional standards.
- Complies with organizational and regulatory policies for handling confidential patient information.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service through his/her attitude and actions, consistent with the standards contained in the Vision, Mission, and Values of the organization.
- Adheres to professional standards, hospital policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements, and TJC standards and/or standards from other accrediting bodies.
- In cooperation with other departments and services, receives, documents, investigates and takes action on all patient/family grievances providing satisfactory resolution and when necessary, legal counsel.
- Responses to requests for assistance is provided within 24 hours of receipt.
- Follow-up to patient and/or staff regarding disposition is provided as evidenced by an accurate and up to date Grievance Log.
- Grievance letters are sent to patients per policy and regulations and documentation of disposition is available upon request.
- Action plans are developed and implemented that meet or exceed organization goals for customer surveys (patient, physician, and employee) as applicable.
- Patients, family members and employee focus groups are assembled and facilitated to identify, review and address customer service and employee satisfaction needs and areas of improvement as evidence by records of focus groups, the tracking of improvement efforts and reports on results to Leadership as available.
Reporting, Analysis & Quality Compliance
- Charts related to Patient Safety, Quality and Risk Management issues are reviewed as requested. Performs other miscellaneous data collection, input and reporting for Risk Management, Quality, Patient Safety, and Patient Satisfaction.
- Assistance is provided to patient care leadership through attendance at Patient Care Services patient satisfaction accountability sessions in developing action plans and tracking and trending results.
- As an active participant on improvement teams, opportunities for improvement are identified utilizing the organization Performance Improvement Plan. Develops reviews, revises and implements organizational and/or unit specific policies and procedures.
- All regulatory and licensing standards including JCAHO standards are met through compliance activities with quality control programs.
- Assists with collection of data of leading indicators, development of measurements and trends and helps with the development and implementation of patient satisfaction strategies and plans across the health system.
- Patient Satisfaction reports from the Press Ganey website are downloaded, analyzed, prepared, distributed and presented on to appropriate personnel within specific timeframes.
- All new team members in orientation are presented with information on service Excellence, grievance policies and educational in-services for staff on patient satisfaction.
- As requested by V.P., Directors, managers, develops and presents all educational in-services on patient satisfaction.
- Other Duties as Assigned
- Active participation in performance/quality improvement committees and projects is provided as requested.
- Prolonged periods of standing, walking, or sitting while on duty.
- Lifting, pushing, and pulling up to 10-15 pounds with or without assistance.
- Visual and auditory acuity and manual dexterity essential to performing designated duties required.
- Ability to perform effectively in a stressful and fast paced environment.
- Ability to pass all required health and other screening tests.
Physical conditions are clean, neat and well lit. May be subjected to unpleasant sights and odors, stressful situations and hazardous or infectious agents where judgment as to precautions need to be taken is essential. Climate control and ambient temperature variances may be experienced. Exposure to limited amounts of hazardous chemicals or substances and infectious disease processes are a possibility. Hours of duty may be irregular or unexpectedly extended due to emergency circumstances.
Direct contact with blood or other body fluids to which universal precautions apply. Personal protective equipment is made available and must be worn.