Location: St. Dominic Hospital
Department: LABORATORY - 7020
Employment Type: Full Time 80
Other Shift Details:
Job Code: 7413
SDH Lab Assistant - Collections
Collects and processes blood from individuals of all ages, checks quality of specimen, and assumes responsibility for the safety of the patient and the integrity of the collection. Assists in technical work areas as trained.
A high school diploma or equivalent required.
Minimum Work Experience
Phlebotomy experience desired, preferably in a hospital or health care setting, but
not required. Previous experience as a Phlebotomist is preferred. Employee must
demonstrate ability to recognize patients' individual needs based on medical
conditions, age (infants, pediatrics, adolescents, young adults, middle-aged
and geriatric), limitations and planned procedures. Requires ability to work well with
others and to function in stressful situations, along with the ability to perform some
special skills and operate special equipment. Must be friendly and outgoing with all
patients or customers.
Provides a positive and professional representation of the organization.
Promotes culture of safety for patients and employees through proper identification, reporting, documentation, and prevention.
Maintains hospital standards for a clean and quiet patient environment to maintain a positive patient care experience.
Maintains competency and knowledge of current standards of practice, trends, and developments in related scope of job role or practice.
Adheres to infection-control policies and protocols, medication administration and storage procedures, and controlled substance regulations.
Participates in ongoing quality improvement activities.
Maintains compliance with organization’s policies, as well as established practices, protocols, and procedures of the position, department, and applicable professional standards.
Complies with organizational and regulatory policies for handling confidential patient information.
Demonstrates excellent customer service through his/her attitude and actions, consistent with the standards contained in the Vision, Mission, and Values of the organization.
Adheres to professional standards, hospital policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements, and TJC standards and/or standards from other accrediting bodies.
- Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance program, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
- Logs in all specimens using approved system.
- Maintains a clean organized working area in a sanitary condition.
- Collects blood specimens from patients of all ages and conditions by use of arterial, capillary or venous collection.
- Maintains and organizes supplies utilizing an inventory system. Logs specimens into laboratory Specimen Log Book as required, receives into computer with all correct data, and delivers to the appropriate areas of the lab for resting. Works as specimen processor.
- Assists other personnel as required in clerical, technical, or courier functions.
- Assists with care and maintenance of all equipment to include phlebotomy carts. All maintenance is recorded appropriately.
- Maintains all required records, reports and statistics as directed, including quality control records.
- Participates in educational programs and inservices. Attends meetings as required.
- Maintains all reference lab specimens and records.
- Prepares all specimens for transport to reference labs.
- Provides customer service by answering phone calls as well as making calls as directed for communication of patient collections and/or testing needs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Prolonged periods of standing, walking, or sitting while on duty.
Lifting, pushing, and pulling up to 10-15 pounds with or without assistance.
Visual and auditory acuity and manual dexterity essential to performing designated duties required.
Ability to perform effectively in a stressful and fast paced environment.
Ability to pass all required health and other screening tests.
Physical conditions are clean, neat and well lit.
May be subjected to unpleasant sights and odors, stressful situations and hazardous or infectious agents where judgment as to precautions need to be taken is essential. Climate control an ambient temperature variances may be experienced.
Exposure to hazardous chemicals or substances and infectious disease processes are a possibility.
Hours of duty may be irregular or unexpectedly extended due to emergency circumstances.
Direct contact with blood or other body fluids to which universal precautions apply. Personal protective equipment is made available and must be worn.