Director of Nursing, Professional Practice and Research
St. Dominic Hospital
PT. CARE SVCS. ADMINISTRATION - 6010
The Director of Professional Practice and Research will work closely with the Chief Nurse to evaluate and/or refine the professional practice structure and is responsible for the administration and operations of nursing research. Participates in the development of the function of nursing research committee. Serves as the primary coordinator and resource person for St. Dominic's journey to obtaining and sustaining designation as an ANAA Magnet Hospital and Shared Governance.
Experience: 5 years acute care experience in a clinical setting; Experience with having research work published within the last 2 years
Education: PhD in Health Science or Nursing field
Job Standards and Performance Expectations
1. Quality and Performance Improvement
- Ensures that appropriate leadership and resources are available and organized to facilitate staff nurses, education with regard to the research process.
- Stimulates, promotes and develops research interests and related productivity of evidenced-based nursing practice and nursing research projects.
- Develops and implements a nursing research council.
- Ensures systems and processes for record maintenance.
- Participates in nurse practice council and assists with the development of research projects to benefit nursing practice.
2. Collaboration and Partnership
- Collaborates with academic institutions, community agencies and health careinstitutions to develop research partnerships.
- Ensures effective communication and alignment of people and processes to effectively support nursing research work.
- "Coordinates and cooperates with Corporate Compliance, audit and privacy on all compliance issues and internal audit initiatives. "
3. Leadership and Direction
- Promote and facilitate the professional practice model for patient care
- services; provide leadership in the planning developing, implementing and
- evaluation of Magnet initiatives related to nursing practice.
- Lead the implementation and continual enhancement of a Care model.
- Support Jean Watson's Theory of Caring.
- Coordinates the Magnet program utilizing appropriate interpersonal
- communication, change management and leadership skills.
4. Other Duties as Assigned
1. SERVICE - "The privilege of reaching out to meet the needs of others.
a. Focuses on the customer; identifies the customer's needs; responds to the
customer; satisfies the customer; takes ownership.
b. Responds immediately to customer's needs and solving repetitive service
c. Demonstrates enthusiasm and positive attitude with customers.
2. REVERENCE AND LOVE FOR ALL OF LIFE - "Acknowledging that all life is a gift from God."
a. Exemplifies the professional image of FMOLHS through compliance with the
b. Serves the organization with honesty and integrity by complying with all
organizational and departmental policies and procedures.
3. JOYFULNESS OF SPIRIT - "An awareness of being blessed by God in all things."
a. Works well with others by recognizing the value of our diverse workforce and
remains open to new view points, ideas and talents.
b. Takes on other responsibilities when needed recognizing that customer
satisfaction is everyone's job.
4. HUMILITY - "Being authentic in serving as an instrument of God."
a. Demonstrates selflessness by being supportive and cooperative with team
5. JUSTICE - "Striving for equity and fairness in all relationships with special concern for
those most in need."
a. Adheres to organizational and departmental policies regarding tardiness,
breaks, time clocks, and use of benefit time.
b. Demonstrates accountability for responsibly managing resources by
completing work on time and using supplies as appropriate.
c. Prioritizes the needs of customers especially those most in need.
d. Demonstrates knowledge of and compliance with applicable federal and state
laws and the Standards of Conduct.
Job Description Disclaimer
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (e g., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological development).